Monday, November 26, 2007

Mixing media and politics

This is a subject I could probably write about all day. I have often been told that here in the US it's high risk to talk about religion or politics - but what's a good blog without some controversy !!

So here's the scene. I'm talking campaign tactics with one of our many creative partners who have a target of senior business decision makers and wanted to consider a variety of media formats. As the conversation turned to TV, I naturally named some stations I'd suggest we consider....

"CNN, MSNBC, Fox News "...

"Oh no" countered my creative friend "I don't want to support them"

"me neither but they do offer up a strong profile"

And so here's the dilema for media folks. Sometimes we are faced with using media vehicles we ourselves don't subscribe to or even support. This is true whatever political side this takes. And it's a tough call. In most cases there are viable alternatives which means we could justify the choices we make even though we know the real reason is our feeling of discomfort with the content rather than the audience. And yes supporting media with advertising dollars does support the message they promote so I don't subscribe to the "it should only be about the audience" argument.

But who's call is it and also are we always consistent? In my own case I'm not. Just a few months ago we recemmended a radio buy using right wing talk radio because the target audience was exactly who we needed to reach (concerned older consumers who would look at an online security product to protect their online banking proceedures). In this case the campaign success required me to "suck it up".

At the same time we planned another campaign targeting consumers who might install solar panels and it was great pleasure that I could place media buys into public radio and liberal radio stations. Even up the score so to speak.

OK so you probably summize that I'm a bit of a lefty (part of that famous left wing media bias eh !). Actually I'm not really, but then in a country with only two parties it's hard to not fall into one camp or the other...

And that my friends is really my biggest problem with media and politics....where's the hghly analytical middle ground that I can support ??? Where's the good old fashioned "unbiased anti political establishment media" that questions all our leaders and really holds them accountable. Don't see to much of that these days and we are all the worse off for it.

2 comments:

Dick Reed said...

Someone sent me the following email so I'll post it here as it helps clarify that I'm not alone in this dilema (Dick)

"I just wanted to take a moment to comment to you on your blog. Here's a
dilemma I'm facing: do I buy a sponsorship on TV in the upcoming Beijing
Olympics?

I don't want the Chinese government to profit from me or mine. They have a
horrible human rights history. It might be a great advertising vehicle but
. . . .

So I'm right with you on the politics thing. I also run into problems with
clients wanting not to do radio the right way. Single station buy for an
entire year 2 wks per month. This isn't right and they hire me because I
know the medium, and then ask me to go against my principles of media
buying.

It's a tough world out there! "


Yes it is :-)

Anonymous said...

Dick,
I think it can be even more complicated than media selection.

If a right wing company produces right wing products for their right wing audience, and you are left wing, should you accept the account at all? Probably not. Otherwise, you're making money from a client you don't really believe ought to be successful. You're conflicted from the outset.

But once you accept an account, aren't you obligated to do what will make your client successful -- or resign the account if the path to its success is something you consider morally reprehensible? (Or, even worse, illegal.)

I once hurt my career when I refused to write alcohol ads intended for an underage audience. Clearly, I should not have been assigned to that account (or that project) because it conflicted with my morals. But nobody asked...and I didn't realize until we were in a meeting with the client that I was to develop a campaign to get high school kids to drink "soda pop" wine coolers. I refused to do it. Next round of lay-offs included me. Well, that's the price of standing up for what you believe in.

I do think that once you accept an account or an assignment, you're obligated to go through with it even if it violates your personal beliefs.

Otherwise, you're projecting your bias onto another person's business which isn't right. (Now, if they happen to agree with you that you shouldn't support the medium, you're home free. But you'd better make sure the Ad Manager is willing to stand up to the CEO on the issue because he might like the offending medium and it's his company.)